[Bell Historians] Lincoln College

Anne Willis zen16073 at SEicr2LCIm5nLYZmAzLaZalioms9W6rVQWVRXP8m-mpVCGK5DkTMunc_1z12nQdfQR-HVcKZrDM.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 30 17:19:27 GMT 2009

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Brian Meldon
Sent: 30 November 2009 15:58
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Lincoln College

Thanks for the response.

The reason I ask is to try to uncover the origins of the 26 inch bell as
South Fambridge in Essex.

The inscription reads:

Tho Mears of London Fecit 1796.

But below there is incised:

The Revd John Eccles Rector

This is in CB of Essex (1909) and has more recently been inspected by David
Sloman.

South Fambridge church dates from 1846 and the previous church on the site
had no bell since 1552.

No links can be found to John Eccles at Fambridge or the surrounding area,
however one John Eccles was sub Rector at Lincoln College when he passed
away in 1807 aged 45 and this is the only Rev. John Eccles that I can find
in the correct time period in England.

Brian Meldon

Was Lincoln College the patron of the Living?  Eccles may have been an
absentee Rector.  The bell may have been bought from another church,
especially as the inscription for Eccles is inscribed.

Anne