[Bell Historians] Lincoln College

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at ynlf7b6c0RaEwmi8DkthRErhL47ISEiPFpL_dDnkbrO9DOUiWvvBFHhhIDB5dptG-J87qynIeBxVPyGeT0isjxQRpg.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 30 15:57:43 GMT 2009

Thanks for the response.

The reason I ask is to try to uncover the origins of the 26 inch bell as South Fambridge in Essex.

The inscription reads:

Tho Mears of London Fecit 1796.

But below there is incised:

The Revd John Eccles Rector

This is in CB of Essex (1909) and has more recently been inspected by David Sloman.

South Fambridge church dates from 1846 and the previous church on the site had no bell since 1552.

No links can be found to John Eccles at Fambridge or the surrounding area, however one John Eccles was sub Rector at Lincoln College when he passed away in 1807 aged 45 and this is the only Rev. John Eccles that I can find in the correct time period in England.

Brian Meldon