Set-off

Peter Trent peter.trent at 6SIYgBV9MA_vuABizSkVJRfpLVDOLZBgbKkn38sJxRGEVv3tH0cpa0hscnCwpGy391Yuq0OKI8syLIm_emRDIw.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 2 22:09:51 BST 2009

I have been researching some of the history of ringing in Great Ryburgh Norfolk and have twice met the term from former ringers from just before WW2  "He could never  set off at the end at the end of ringing"   and "my Father (captain of the belfry) called 'set-off' as we completed our Sunday morning peal on the bells .Is this a local term for "stand". Has anyone met this in relation to chiming bells?
Peter Trent