[Bell Historians] Re: Telegraph letter

Richard Offen richard.offen at foXUFt4sN-qCon-J_Qktg8MIFC0C2SMiiAnpc7z3sTOEAcosOVvEWsJyZFtKCOm7rdZFxDF1LA3QxZdX0D3vD0YG.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 14 15:00:25 BST 2009

Why should a peal be tuned in this manner in preference to any other system?
What advantage does this give?

I am not aware that Harrison's bells are stunningly better than anything
else from the same period.

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Charles Lucy
Sent: Wednesday, 14 October 2009 6:58 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Telegraph letter

Yes.

The peal should be tuned as John Harrison described using the meantone-type
tuning derived from pi, which he advocated.

Harrison also wrote about the methods of manufacturing bells, and provided
his radical numbers figures, which are yet to be understood.

see:

http://www.lucytune
<http://www.lucytune.com/academic/manuscript_search.html>
.com/academic/manuscript_search.html

Any further insights would be appreciated;-)

and this page for the frequencies, intervals and tuning details:

http://www.lucytune <http://www.lucytune.com/new_to_lt/pitch_02.html>
.com/new_to_lt/pitch_02.html

On 13 Oct 2009, at 20:57, matthewhigby@ <mailto:matthewhigby at nUHyg88G34-AJ2S-vmlO8hfU_n_uPUMiuL8-8YgTX6YMoyzF-3fDsJGrvK9fdkxE-R96eRR9wdBR8BUVkA.yahoo.invalid>
aol.com wrote:

Could Mr Lucy explain to this list, exactly how a bell/peal of bells should
be tuned? As far as I can tell, he appears to have very different ideas to
most of us!

Best wishes,

Matthew Higby

 <http://www.bell-hangers.com> www.bell-hangers.com

Indeed the instruments should be in tune. But what is "in tune"????

It seems that some individuals on this list took exception to our bidding to
take over Taylors and intervened with the administrators who failed to
provide us with the bid information despite my having signed a
confidentiality agreement, to which I conformed.

It looks to me as though your spoilers may well have shot themselves in
their feet.

It seems to me that the way in which the bell business/industry was run and
maintained requires entirely new business, engineering and tuning models:

a) The business model to provide capital investment, even out the cash flows
and overcome the "feast and famine" patterns.

The new model also needs to force the presently destructively competing
vested interests to coincide.

b) The engineering "improvements" to need make productive use of "21st
century" engineering, technological, techniques and solutions.

c) The tuning model has to acknowledge that bells are "out of tune"
individually, and particularly in their tuning relationship to other members
of their "often celebrated" peals.

Whoever eventually acquire the Taylor assets will need to seriously rethink
the whole bells industry, if the "heritage" is to continue for future
generations to enjoy.

I shall continue to take opportunities to influence the tuning of bells, yet
it may be by less obvious and public means. Time will tell.

In the meantime, we shall continue to change the rest of the world's musical
tuning by working with musicians, and other parts of the music industry.

I am confident that eventually those tuning the bells (at least those that
remain) will understand and use our findings.