[Bell Historians] Re: Telegraph letter

Richard Smith richard at WCqtTonqT373g_nnpbjZ1BBZOi6wNr4XzCRiKqZqAiefFwCTbZ5yUt7FFTMWL5OWbdMgfeTIEvxqqIks0Nt6Kw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 15 11:29:37 BST 2009

David Bryant asked:

> To put it more clearly, what are the advantages of the
> tuning system which you are proposing, and what are its
> advantages over and above any other tuning system?

... to which Charles Lucy responded:

> Rather than re-writing the text from an existing site, I
> would like to suggest that you got to a place where the
> whole system derived from John Harrison's writings is
> explained in detail, and comparisons to other systems are
> shown.

So far as I can see, the purported advantage of your / John
Harrison's tuning system is that you can tune an instrument
such that music played in different keys sound equally good.
You mention, for example, the problem of tuning a
traditional guitar such that you are happy with both the E
major and G major chords.

Now how is that relevant to bell ringing?  We have a brand
new Taylor twelve in Cambridge, one that I'm overwhelmingly
pleased with.  We use it to ring rounds in D major, Stedman
Cinques in D major, Cambridge Maximus in D major, Bristol
Maximus is D major.  We have even attempted to ring Orion
transposed into D major; unfortunately some of the chords in
this piece sound most unpleasant.  I can only assume this
must be due to some subtle problem with Taylor's tuning of
the bells, as it often sounds melodious when rung by others
on the C major Whitechapel twelve at Bow.  I shall be
raising this serious issue with Taylors in the near future.

Never once have we decided to ring Fabian Stedman's
masterpiece, but in a deep, sonorous Bb major for a change:
we simply don't care what our bells would sound like rung in
a far-removed key.  We ring them in D major, sometimes we
ring the front eight in G major, and if we're in a silly
mood, we might try the descending melodic minor ten in E.
All closely related keys.  Bells are not the same as
guitars.

RAS