[Bell Historians] Hanley Stoke on Trent

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at mIxWJa58HvhMrC5jteB1Zq-9T3GgJsPf-M0rU-ABhwMwGGOlwOKE_jc7NHisAKVxWQaRSqXpJZ2cjFk-yr9Q_9KtSdM.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 15 20:30:57 BST 2009

I think that we are all missing the point here. It is no good any of us trying to think up justification for removing the bells, I am sure we would all like to see then moved and ringing again at another location and there are many ways that we as ringers can justify removing the bells from a redundant listed church.
A far better approach to the problem would be to enquire with Stoke on Trent City Council planning department to find out under what circumstances would they consider granting consent to removing the bells and then make sure the application lists these circumstances as the reason for their removal. My experience with planning departments in Chelmsford Essex is that they are very helpful if prospective planning applicants enquire as to the circumstances that a given project can be achieved within the planning guidelines rather than just applying for consent first without speaking to them. If nothing else it shows that the applicant has shown due diligence in preparing the application and has done so with the cooperation of the planning department. Quite often an informal chat with the planning officers and the inclusion of the correct wording or a specific minor detail in the application can result in an otherwise difficult planning application gaining consent without any problems.
They are all civil servants at the end of the day and are usually willing and able to offer us advice on how to proceed.
It is of course quite possible that this was done in the case of Hanley and then the application was still rejected! If this was the case then there could be grounds for an appeal. But you have to remember that planning authorities are duty bound to contested appeals to the up most as an outcome against them will result in the loss of public money.

Brian Meldon