[Bell Historians] Hanley Stoke on Trent

Alan Taylor alantaylor at zpePDF8KrgvT6LqvThsGbq21FMoSElnq3rx5DCocS0BVwJLVpitziXD0ivW_2oASqKNaIC646kkvlZHrP-8wLgn0dg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 15 20:34:32 BST 2009

In the meantime, could I suggest that the local ringers seek permission to
look after the bells and even arrange some ringing on them?

Alan

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Brian Meldon
Sent: 15 October 2009 20:31
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Hanley Stoke on Trent

I think that we are all missing the point here. It is no good any of us
trying to think up justification for removing the bells, I am sure we would
all like to see then moved and ringing again at another location and there
are many ways that we as ringers can justify removing the bells from a
redundant listed church.
A far better approach to the problem would be to enquire with Stoke on Trent
City Council planning department to find out under what circumstances would
they consider granting consent to removing the bells and then make sure the
application lists these circumstances as the reason for their removal. My
experience with planning departments in Chelmsford Essex is that they are
very helpful if prospective planning applicants enquire as to the
circumstances that a given project can be achieved within the planning
guidelines rather than just applying for consent first without speaking to
them. If nothing else it shows that the applicant has shown due diligence in
preparing the application and has done so with the cooperation of the
planning department. Quite often an informal chat with the planning officers
and the inclusion of the correct wording or a specific minor detail in the
application can result in an otherwise difficult planning application
gaining consent without any problems.
They are all civil servants at the end of the day and are usually willing
and able to offer us advice on how to proceed.
It is of course quite possible that this was done in the case of Hanley and
then the application was still rejected! If this was the case then there
could be grounds for an appeal. But you have to remember that planning
authorities are duty bound to contested appeals to the up most as an outcome
against them will result in the loss of public money.

Brian Meldon