[Bell Historians] Levels of Bell Production

Anne Willis zen16073 at dsCZVnXVSSvRPt8SNQKI1nALj2VXFIJYO7FtNbzavKnWdrUHclqkeU__JicIoxTEJWnly-yAXTu2NWWgXg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 16 14:04:49 BST 2009

Subject: [Bell Historians] Levels of Bell Production

>I was interested to read Mark Regan's letter (and associated graph) in
todays RW. This may have been discussed before >but has anyone done a
similar analysis in other counties or nationally?

>Andrew

Some years ago I did an analysis for Wiltshire between the years 1559 and
1642 and got the following.  I used the comparison with Sussex as it was
readily available, but it is based on Tyssen's 19th century survey.  Does
anyone have an update?

DECADE

SUSSEX

WILTSHIRE

1580-1589

no figures

    33

1590-1599

10

      13

1600-1609

73

at least 73

1610-1619

34

at least 98

1620-1629

22

    78

1630-1639

42

    77

Total 1590-1639

    182

at least 339

The sources for Wiltshire included Churchwardens' accounts (about 10%
survive), Lukis, James Jerram and Walters.  The 1590's were a time of dearth
and it would be interesting to see national figures for this period.

The two main founders were John Wallis of Salisbury (fl 1580-1624) and Roger
Purdue I of Bristol, (fl 1620-1642).  Wallis is said to have cast the first
eight for Wiltshire at Bishops Cannings in 1602.  Purdue cast a considerable
number of five-bell peals and there is some very interesting material from
Melksham, Highworth and Hannington on these.

There may be many more 'vanished bells'.  For example, judging by the
expenditure (which is not detailed), Pewsey did an enormous amount of work
in 1640 which could have included bells.  No bells from that date survive at
Pewsey though.

Anne