Organs and Bells

Mark Regan markregan at oIWV2Ro0m_wF3w8pQGUMcRtWspj2q2hUT74i2Xar2xwv5oaSead3Y_mW3iCPZ3L8xAw2UaBY1mYKbRk.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 16 22:20:09 BST 2009

Two observations

1. When Thomas Trotter played the first recital on our new Tickell organ at
Worcester Cathedral, all the rival organ builders were present to celebrate
the event. I can't imagine every member of the bell trade doing the same to
celebrate a new ring of bells. However, the business pressures faced by
organ builders ie hardly any work, are similar to those faced by bell
founders.

2. There are many more bellringers than organists. However, the two most
influential people on the Church Buildings Council (formerly the CCC) are
organists ie David Knight and Alan Thurlow are church organists.

Alan told me at the recent CBC/DAC conference at St Magnus the Martyr, that
the organ-world had realised it was time to stop bickering (my paraphrase)
and work together. The organ trade have managed to do this. Bellringers
haven't.

Goodness knows how the CCCBR etc must appear like to the amenity groups and
the CofE and DAC community.

As a ringer, teacher of ringing, tower captain, DAC advisor and someone who
cares: it's about time we got (room for plenty of expletives) our act sorted
out.

Ironically I have a really good working relationship with EH and the CBC. We
may not agree - however we get things done. What an irony?

Mark

Mark Regan

22 Sebright Avenue

Worcester