[Bell Historians] Bell and iron founding

David david.hope at TtKEXvOwIyxKj2050r1q8Fn8iJhdoy844lEkjhnhp4L-YpPadupdYub_zrwD8-ZJYOZQwfGMCySgUuvYUV8.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 21 09:16:00 BST 2009

Regarding the Malvern problem, my conclusion is derived from paragraphs 28, 30 and 56 of the Chancellor's judgement. These paragraphs emphasise the importance of the views of regular worshippers, especially when there is a disagreement.

This conclusion is supported by the text in paragraph 136: "the only argument in favour of a new frame is that the bellringers want one".

In other words, it is implied (i) that the regular worshippers can see no justification for a new frame and (ii) that the bellringers are not members of the congregation and are not supported by them.

I should add that the 'facts' quoted in paragraph 62 are incorrect: the substantial timbers on the east and west walls of the ringing chambers are, in fact, components of the tower strengthening installed in 1674.

As far as I can see, the Chancellor's judgement says little about the properties of the cast iron of the A frames (see, for example, paragraph 103). However, the blacksmithing skills required for working wrought iron, e.g. in high-quality swords, may have been lost.