Seen on stage

oakcroft13 bill at gqjrVA5_A6YDhRuVJZODr4MQ1ejgIHbc5rEqY06pwKnV1tqV3L2x8YXEn39KHb5I8tCqukHOmcYg6Mc.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 22 14:33:28 BST 2009

CSZ:

> Just to set the comparison straight, American railroad engine bells
were almost always cast from brass or bronze, and had little flare at
the mouth. Bill's description seems to be a better fit with American
farm bells, which were cast steel with a very flared mouth (sometimes
more than three times the diameter at the shoulder).

Thanks, Carl - what I saw was much more like the farm bell (though I was looking at it on a video screen from the other end of the stadium).

Bell Historians provides the answer, as usual!

Bill H