Darlington station bell

David Bryant davidbryant at QX44gTZCha04PpLE2SKP9J0XQHjWJH4x2ntAMTSMDqb9ra8HUttSnyfPeg7TCRDarcZPb6k5spGKNxONx15R.yahoo.invalid
Wed Sep 30 23:44:40 BST 2009

While waiting for a train this evening I noted details of the large bell on display on platform 4 at Darlington station:

Inscription band: Cast by John Warner and Sons London 1886.

Didn't have a tape measure so couldn't get its diameter, but I'd guess it's about a ton. Typical Warner profile of the date - short waisted, square shoulders and Doncaster head. It formerly hung in the station's clock tower (which still exists, with working clocks), but the bell had become disused and was removed in 1983. It bears the mark of an external clock hammer.