New book on Big Ben

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at DeTYdDA1KX2GumyUVWOCmoS_ySCi5at7kRO5wu_ypjektxMb0KF1wggiONxras4eS1KbRGqlEY5Cb2_veoqswy3P9Zzk1w.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 23 13:24:00 BST 2010

Just to let everyone know that Chris McKay's definitive study of Big Ben - the tower, the clock, the bells and much more - is to be published on 27 May. Details are on the OUP website at http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199585694.do (which shows the retail price of £39.95), but there is a special offer (£32) running until the end of June for orders placed directly with the OUP. (I think that quoting the reference code AAFLY10 will secure you the discount). Orders direct to the publishers are being accepted now, and the books will be sent out after the formal publication date.

I am lucky enough to have seen an advance copy, and so I can immediately recommend it. This is a "must buy" book for anyone with an interest in the subject, and it contains a lot of new material about the saga of the bells and about Lord Grimthorpe. It's definitely not just a publication for the clock buffs! It's also very comprehensively and handsomely illustrated.

Chris Pickford