[Bell Historians] Bells in the colonies

Peter Rivet peter at UGhKVhGtu7-0vxI8y2Ki_6K3C1BgZm2eehNqLaJ7CUoO9t19RfxYsAtEdy_TAqHA_Bm75qZ9Ne89Ftzb.yahoo.invalid
Sat Aug 7 17:03:15 BST 2010

What about the Cheviot and the North Tyne Valley?  Inland Northumberland
must be as empty of towers as anywhere in England.

On the question of towers in former British colonies: in some cases, at
least, it's worth adding the weather as a possible disincentive.  At the
beginning of the year I found traces of the former ring of five at Howrah,
in West Bengal (the relationship of Howrah to Kolkata is very similar to
that of Gateshead to Newcastle).  This was in February which is OK but I
wouldn't fancy ringing for any length of time in the middle of an Indian
summer.

Peter Rivet

 "The distribution of ringing towers in England is patchy.  My son made a
map of them and there were two almost blank spaces; Salisbury Plain and
Dartmoor. "
  Anne