[Bell Historians] Bells lost at sea

Laurie Alexander laurie2027 at wq75xUkAMgCmhYLCabU5xjw36b5zHnFyOdCP9IuXmZ5qpc3jRBKlpjYXRLo1q5mNShV9kTJTSh8u69Mf.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 9 22:32:47 BST 2010

One of those bells lost when the Dunbar sank on 20th August 1857 (at the entrance to Sydney harbour) was salvaged along with a number of others, St John's church in Darlinghurst, Sydney has one of the bells, I am told a second is located in a pub in Balmain, Sydney (still have to verify this), the bell at St John's in Darlinghurst is rung 3 times each Sunday to announce the Clergy have arrived at the church front door and the service is about to begin, one of the 13 Harrington Tubular bells sounds at the same time.

Photos available should anyone wish to see.

Laurie A.

To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:30:30 +1000
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bells lot at sea

I know of two peals of bells lost at sea.  A peal destined for St. Patrick's Parramatta, at that time a suburrb of Sydney, was lost when the Dunbar  crashed into the rocks at South Head in 1857; and a peal for Roma in Queeensland was lost in 1939 due to eenemy action..

On completion of a large project I am currently working on I will contribute more to this debate.   Jack