Christ Church, Higher Bebington 8-Bell Chime.

Peter Humphreys peter at apPuRo7QH9vKlJ5xrle_KoCsNEDrGPtIprA5MW4ZRwwZawmJrq6xDNGSRd1Igm2QNkvgYcBAHQ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 12 11:41:31 BST 2010

There have been some interesting developments at Christ Church, Higher
Bebington.

Last Thursday - we could hear them from our house - clock chimes were
sounding out (although Christ Church does not have a clock). It was not a
recording. They have continued ever since i.e. on the quarters until 9 p.m.
daily. Radio-controlled time signals ensure the first strike on each hour is
precise ("one second in a million years"?). We have also heard hymn tunes.

I contacted one of the congregation there and arranged to meet the Church
Treasurer this morning who kindly showed me over the new facility.

The 8-Bell hemispherical chime is now being used. It has been heard only
rarely in recent years, the last time to mark the 60th anniversary of VE
Day. (I was there - on the anniversary not VE Day) .

An electronically controlled striking apparatus has been installed. It is
programmed to sound Westminster (Cambridge) & Guildford chimes and,
presently, seven different hymn tunes, including Duke St (Fight the good
Fight) - not for weddings we understand! The selection is made at the small
console located in a cupboard in the nave.

There is also Plain Hunt on 8, and Plain Bob Major, rung albeit with open
backstrokes (but not handstrokes) and at handbell ringing speed. Last
Sunday,  PB8 was rung at 9:50 prior to morning service (I was told as not
able to hear it myself being likewise employed elsewhere at the time). The
installation is only at the development stage and adjustments are likely to
be made.

The system has been designed and installed by Scirrard Lancelyn-Green of
Poulton Lancelyn, Bebington where he has his own chime (proper bells from
Eujsbouts) in a clock turret. The Christ Church installation is evidently
based on the same technology.

The other good news is that the tape recorder (with change ringing
recordings) is no longer being used (it was beginning to show its age) and
the loudspeakers are about to be removed from the tower.

I have taken some photographs and recordings using my camcorder (which may
be uploaded to You-tube - one day).

Peter

 Peter Humphreys

15 Mount Park