[Bell Historians] Crown Bob

Peter Humphreys peter at sgMtHvqXMum8wc5hUShqTMESsoGwUrpFJ2AJ_23_ghARDezBjaWqkBDEfwKSXHuhgJr8vAip-g.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 10 17:07:38 GMT 2010

(Sorry about the date and time shown in my previous email - I had just
changed the battery and hadn't re-set these before sending my email)

Peter Humphreys

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Graham John
Sent: 10 December 2010 10:09
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Crown Bob

My wife is reading a book by Christopher Stocks, called "Forgotten Fruits" -
The stories behind Britain's traditional fruit and vegetables. In a chapter
on gooseberries, it talks about a gooseberry call "Crown Bob" which dates
back to some time before 1812, saying:

"Crown Bob, incidentally, is the name for a particular peal of bells that
may date back to the sixteenth century."

The only method containing the word Crown is Crown Court Bob Minor. How old
is this method? Is it the connection, or is is something else?

Graham