[Bell Historians] Development of change ringing

Roderic Bickerton rodbic at -UW7m7iEdIWMRXkU-kcbYGNMnKzJUyI4igIiKMrj-n1o7A7WuaRUeVE_5Ctnr_Qau5zWK6HC1BnyoQs.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 15 15:53:08 GMT 2010

This has been aired in the past, without
conclusion.
How could it be otherwise, as you cannot have
one without, at least half the other.
I thought the general view was bells were
probably got "up" on leavers, produced better
more carrying sounds but were more or less
uncontrollable.
As soon as some rope guidance is fitted
(probably to stop the rope being damaged by the
bell mouth), more control results, and
inevitably results in experiment.
I suppose the big "what if" moment was someone
trying to change order on two rows in succession
rather than changing with at least one repeated
row, like call changes.

It would make no sense to suggest the idea of
change ringing came first, for a whole bunch of
reasons:
For example;
The basic concept of no jump changes is an
acceptance of the lack of control of rope and
wheel.
There was nothing known like change ringing on
other instruments, handballs or otherwise.
Nice Christmas guesswork, with no chance of
being spoilt by inconvenient historic fact.