[Bell Historians] Very old bells

Richard Smith richard at Wen1-iU65l5JkGpKFIRbbFGzZ9eBKsVH9aB9jrbf0zBAgZdHdvUiNhDRFjOkMiwexSO1bI8zNPenu1T5QQ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 23 13:02:27 GMT 2010

Chris Pickford wrote:

> A couple of Ringng World articles are also worth a look [...]

Many thanks for those, Chris, especially the article re
Hanford, Dorset -- a bell I had unaccountably overlooked.
(It was on my original list of potentially interesting
bells, but seemed to get lost at some point.)

Whilst on the subject of old bells, I notice that your
spreadsheet of great bells of Britain includes a 56-0-8 bell
cast in 1346 for Ely Cathedral.  Do you have a source for
this weight?  Raven's Cambridshire [p.4-8] includes an
account of the bells cast in 1346, but Raven reckons the
largest to have been 37-2-24, though he accepts the
original record is rather cryptic.  Morris's History and Art
[p.24-5] repeats Raven's weighs without further comment.  I
assume someone has done some more recent research, but I
would be interested to know more about it.

RAS