[Bell Historians] Re: Dove and Doncaster heads.

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at wVrtcsWMlYrYNPFUqVuQ67McwY1pCFBnBw1l17KrEcE_343d8zIvoaoITnwTd8ujsVmDlN91kesJnfKmZdRXmwMVz8kXmw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 3 15:56:46 GMT 2010

I'm with John on this one - keep "Doncaster" as a specific and readily identifiable type.

Besides, with the 6 canon types it's not so much about "long" and "short" as Rod suggests, but about the later types having a) no argent and b) a centre hole for a crown staple. The real distinguishing feature is the lack of an argent - but argents are, of course, normally concealed by the stock and so identification becomes tricky for those who aren't sure of the crucial differences between the types.

I'm not sure I agree with Rod about the evolutionary sequence here - whether "short" canons prrceded Denison's invention of the "Doncaster" head or not. It may be covered by Elphick or Jennings (haven't checked) - or maybe DLC can give a definitive answer

CP