Making Casts of Inscriptions

George Dawson george at 4Vx0YsklT2p9M9J-tGWtxR6aYA2Y4UXsUzeP4uf3vAhHlUuCaBUWCPqSZg3Zf5bv1huO8nJT3hLK--3i_W5JCYRrIktiIw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 15 08:57:23 GMT 2010

As the owner of a large collection of plaster casts...

A good plasticine squeeze is a prerequisite, I make sure the plasticine is
warm before using by putting in pockets close to the skin

Making the plaster mix should be done by:

Cool water into the relevant vessel, I use a drinking mug

Add the plaster ( casting plaster grade) to the water by sprinkling into the
water, keep adding slowly so that it soaks in, keep adding till there is a
thin dry crust on the top. Stir thoroughly with a spoon. IF you have mixed
properly you should have a pourable but firm mix.

Pour on to the centre of the  plastercine and using a spoon persuade the mix
to flow over the area to be copied.

Leave to set

When separated & dried off (on a radiator) the set plaster SHOULD be hard
enough that you will not be able to mark it with a finger nail.

Master classes available in Willoughby!!

Hope this helps.

George