Making Casts of Inscriptions

Andrew Aspland aaspland at hikzGyebHQGG-Cca-Fe3NbCLHJzeEW6NmrdNF2esDuMjPPO7vkaPL-6tyLFatmdRVMB2FqWLnlD4JA7-Eg.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 15 08:28:32 GMT 2010

Does anyone have (successful) experience of taking plaster casts of bell inscriptions.  I have been having a few attempts but wondered if anyone had  hints and tips for success.  I have been using a version of Plasticine and a Plaster of Paris modeling plaster.  Two problems seem to occur - the first is me not pressing the Plasticine well enough onto the inscription and that is easily rectified - push a bit more!  The second is getting air bubbles in the plaster.  I have tried dibbling around with a small paintbrush as I pour the plaster but I still get little bubbles on the inscription which spoil the finished result.

Yours
Andrew