[Bell Historians] How many ringers in UK

John Harrison john at lI1sIGsWCQ4q_vh1o2_MR1SwkNI3xtxz7tHGsay2oR6UPsafQZjRIGGVxw4KsqD_mlnD-MHHmBePcPk.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jan 29 17:35:37 GMT 2010

The report of the survey in 1989 concluded that the number of ringers in
the British Isles was between 38,000 and 44,000, and probably about 41,000,
ie roughly one ringer per bell.

There was then the drive to recruit another 10,000 ringers in the next
decade, though whether anyone did so is debatable.  Then we had the
millenium recruitment exercise, which did recruit substantial numbers,
though what fraction remain I don't know.

So we might well be nearer 50,000 than 40,000 by now.

Or we might not.  Try asking the CC Ringing Trends Committee.

Regards

--
John Harrison
http://www.jaharrison.me.uk