[Bell Historians] old bells

George Dawson george at kj68or8rG0j7jbSsPG0_Sq2ZpH_t220brsmgLiQqxUed3kqxIZYVSzA3-kUI7qZvNd6qWbroo5-LocN2w5J9fwZHvV-NtKs.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 25 20:48:56 BST 2010

The oldest dated bell in the UK is at Lissett, East Riding of Yorkshire.

The oldest inscribed bell is  probably the disused bell ex Roxby, North
Riding of Yorkshire, which I believe is now in York Minster.

The oldest existing (blank) bell is open to debate, but read Elphicks The
Craft of the Bellfounder which suggests Hardham , Sussex treble may be a
contender.

There are various saints 'handbells' which are pre-Conquest.