[Bell Historians] old bells

David Willis dcwillispiano at Yr5aMb0uANoEYJcNydwxC6doF_r3SWzIkDc_q9p3taM_j5gaUbKnXfNl_UskGfUa5nSfeLyiEVNRdsxyNA.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 25 17:24:16 BST 2010

--- On Mon, 5/7/10, David Willis <dcwillispiano at 4Ifpw7iFuLp-laxQEW8MdXJXjGyvsMc2XmdexAjd18SCtyvN3kj9FUC2ehn-fZ9ZZAwzlcfhX-sykVsf0A-r7pHy.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

From: David Willis <dcwillispiano at 4Ifpw7iFuLp-laxQEW8MdXJXjGyvsMc2XmdexAjd18SCtyvN3kj9FUC2ehn-fZ9ZZAwzlcfhX-sykVsf0A-r7pHy.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] old bells
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 5 July, 2010, 8:59

--- On Mon, 5/7/10, nitramwe <edwardwmartin@ gmail.com> wrote:

      What exactly is the oldest church bell in the British Isles - date and whereabouts? This must have been asked before but I cannot find it

thanks

Eddie Martin

I think Fred Sharpe found one in Herefordshire but I can't put my hand on the book at the moment .

The clock bell at Sonning is 1280 approx. That isn't the oldest . Work back from there perhaps ?

David

See Fred Sharpe Church Bells of Herefordshire page 346 - 353 for details of the Marden handbell dating from 7th or 8th Century.