[Bell Historians] YMCA Jerusalem - Carillon

David Cawley davidl.cawley at VU4JYROVq8_Tj0V5yaJAcRjdKzXHs79zkMqwGIJU-rt5PEtoE6-T8XBXdpp-gJhQX0NIorSYZwNW-_FTMNOzm7bekAd_8A.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 4 18:59:45 BST 2010

Yes, I've seen it (in 1971) when its 35 G&J bells were very playable and sounded gorgeous. It's not far from the Anglican Cathedral, St George's, which has theree small modern M&S bells originally destined for Hong Kong (hung dead).

The Jerusalem carillon's opening by Nora Johnston (Cyril's sister) has a whole chapter dedicated to it in Jill Johnston's marvellous book "England's Child".

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan Ellis
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 1:42 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] YMCA Jerusalem - Carillon

  Hello Everyone,

  Does anyone out there have knowledge of the reported carillon in the YMCA tower in Jerusalem?

  Having just returned from Israel and having seen the YMCA tower, I have just learned that it has, reportedly, a carillon!   If I had only known, I would have attempted a visit.

  My wife and I did get to hear some of the catholic church bells in Jerusalem and see the Harrington tubular bells at Christ Church.

  Best wishes

  Alan