[Bell Historians] Open handstrokes

Hayden Charles hcharles at FNbX-XCdFrW4sDmrWycoEm1q8vZ42PvQ671s4bvyGkrHKxJKRt6kesonK36x9boysnhOk14dzpVER9uEAQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 21 22:59:32 BST 2010

Peter Trent wrote on 21/06/2010 21:59:

> I have played Jenkins' music quite extensively in the past and never
> felt that his melodies were in any way method based.

My suspicion is that the link with methods is some kind of folk tale
which Morris and others passed on without investigating. But I may well
be wrong in that assumption.

> Having played the
> "six bells, mourners and ringers" lyra consort set in particular, I
> would have said that the extended penultimate note of the changes
> represented is far more about trying to fit the melody into common
> triple time than representing an open handstroke lead.

Well we are all likely to hear and interpret music within patterns that
are familiar to us. I think that in the 'Five Bell' pieces there is
probably a little less distortion of the type of ringing rhythm which is
familiar to us today. I was more taken by the idea that the 'bells' are
arranged in groups of twelve and ten in the six and five-bell pieces
with a definite 'breath' before launching into the next one. So to me
the closed backstroke lead at least implies an open handstroke.

I have found the various expert musicians whose who have written about
Jenkins to be unfamiliar with ringing, so it is good to find a ringing
musician who knows about Jenkins.

Hayden Charles