[Bell Historians] Aluminium bells

Andrew Higson andrew.higson at V9E_mOG2kO3lVxsqsbxuIIkoXZmhyFdM_QOQsuOzQMRwPWM3kUtrZoDpK22claJkOWegJgcIsp23v3M5Dj93dfwgXK5xiRxQvvw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 23 10:32:55 BST 2010

Oops! Too early in the morning to focus on the screen. It was an
unintentional malapropism.

The aluminium is coming from a tornado jet fighter - a bit of a swords
into plowsheards project, so I don't know what the exact spec of the
metal is, but will try to find out.

The company commissioning the work has the following on its web site:

Locus+ have been invited to jointly commission a new temporary public
artwork as part of True Spirit, the Great North Run's Cultural Programme
for the Cultural Olympiad.

We have commissioned artist Fiona Banner. Her proposal involves the
physical and conceptual transformation of a recently decommissioned RAF
Tornado jet fighter cast as a large, single bell, utilizing the metal
from the fuselage.

Initially, the bell will be situated in a busy public space to coincide
with the Cultural Olympiad's Open Weekend of July 24 / 25. Individuals,
families, schools and sports groups will be invited to activate or
'play' it.

The Tornado was collected on 30.04.10 and is currently being stripped
down into its component metal parts before going through the smelting
processes.

Andrew Higson

John Taylor & Co.

The Bellfoundry

Freehold Street

Loughborough

LE11 1AR

Telephone: 01509 212241 Fax: 01509 263305 Registered in England No.
7032766