[Bell Historians] Aluminium bells

john at 66Femh1tJUGFyOSEqyZ_-r-8aqZmIKoF4rQWP525ro2N8RpnwWudcSeSBDQBiyfcOJTYwviXK2uzM07yCEq5fK8l.yahoo.invalid john at 66Femh1tJUGFyOSEqyZ_-r-8aqZmIKoF4rQWP525ro2N8RpnwWudcSeSBDQBiyfcOJTYwviXK2uzM07yCEq5fK8l.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 23 11:09:54 BST 2010

Plowsheards i.e. ploughshears as in
  They will beat their swords into ploughshears and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. - Isaiah 2:4 & Micah 4:3

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Higson
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:32 AM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Aluminium bells

  Oops! Too early in the morning to focus on the screen. It was an unintentional malapropism.

  The aluminium is coming from a tornado jet fighter - a bit of a swords into plowsheards project, so I don't know what the exact spec of the metal is, but will try to find out.

  The company commissioning the work has the following on its web site:

  Locus+ have been invited to jointly commission a new temporary public artwork as part of True Spirit, the Great North Run's Cultural Programme for the Cultural Olympiad.

  We have commissioned artist Fiona Banner. Her proposal involves the physical and conceptual transformation of a recently decommissioned RAF Tornado jet fighter cast as a large, single bell, utilizing the metal from the fuselage.

  Initially, the bell will be situated in a busy public space to coincide with the Cultural Olympiad's Open Weekend of July 24 / 25. Individuals, families, schools and sports groups will be invited to activate or 'play' it.

  The Tornado was collected on 30.04.10 and is currently being stripped down into its component metal parts before going through the smelting processes.

  Andrew Higson

  John Taylor & Co.

  The Bellfoundry

  Freehold Street

  Loughborough

  LE11 1AR

  Telephone: 01509 212241 Fax: 01509 263305 Registered in England No. 7032766