[Bell Historians] FW: Aluminimum bells

John Harrison john at sb21xfmBhCQn84b7PEA_CVTHhZHh1WR8VuPdPhbBBVHeUimkO_IyDW1wwFTyYUZCd1h6t5-mmksq95Q.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 25 17:25:50 BST 2010

> what is the casting temp as compared to bronze

A lot less!  It comes out looking silver, whereas bronze is glowing orange.

>From memory (a long time ago) something like 700 v 1100 when we were doing
small casts (a few lbs).  With bronze we pre-heated the moulds (lost wax in
plaster), but with aluminium we didn't bother (lost polystyrene in sand).
These weren't bells btw, though one of the bronzes was bell-like, and one
of the aluminium casts lives in a tower, see:
http://jaharrison.me.uk/MetalSculpture/MetalSculpture.html
.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk

Message sent from an Iyonix running RISC-OS 5