[Bell Historians] FW: Aluminimum bells

Timothy Hurd timothyhurd at X11Wa8my9h6tjSAMV_7ab3zWd1ryNe6BtWxagktcExElGG83Uy6Sort3E51smwzon03np_qG4Z2-T0nALFDI.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jun 26 02:12:47 BST 2010

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the Tornado metal specs. Don't know about the high percentages of Zinc and Nichol (sic) on your list, but the rest of the elements certainly are in the ballpark for 'Duralumin' alloy, first trademarked in 1910 & used extensively from 1930s onward for aircraft engineering applications. It is corrosion-resistant & strong as steel, but a lot lighter.

Was your analysis done as 'strictly chemical' or spectrographic?

These days, Duralumin has been supplanted by 2024-T4 alloy, composition percentages as below:

Al Aluminium - 90.7 - 94.7%
Cu Copper - 3.8 - 4.9%
Zn Zinc - max. 0.25%
Mg Magnesium - 1.2 - 1.8%
Si Silicon - max. 0.5%
Fe Iron - max 0.5%
Ni Nickel - 0.0%
Pb Lead - 0.0%
Sn Tin - max. 0.5%
Ti Titanium - max. 0.15%
Cr Chrome - max. 0.1%
Other - max. 0.05%
Total other - max. 0.5%

2024-T4 and 2024-T351 alloys are still currently used for some aircraft parts, but also for production of professional orchestral vibraphone tonebars. I use 2024-T4 all the time for making such bars for carillon practice claviers - the stuff rings like crazy.

I'm not sure whether the scope of (art)works for casting the Tornado remnants into a bell include judicious adjustments to the melt, but with an extra 1.0-1.5% copper added, you might get a pretty decent sounding bell, particularly with heat treatment.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out!

Regards,
Timothy Hurd