[Bell Historians] Bell of Doom

Andrew Wilby andrew at 7FZt50_5cEeqKzUa-bE3wN4JQlen2WNhwZSHiWoe-WtDlee1hTbVx7IqUtUJhhTFGp3xRcpRO08A4tAdzg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 12 08:34:35 GMT 2010

The hand bell is still there in the church.
I have the impression that access to the cell was through the cellar of
the Viaduct Tavern and under the road. You can still go down into the
cellar and see a couple of cells and the remains of the passage under
the road to the Old Bailey which of course is on the foundations of the
old Newgate Prison.

The tenor bell was also rung for executions, possibly as a substitute
for the handbell.

There is an old cupboard in St Seps belfry with a pencil inscription
recording the last time the tenor was rung for an executution.

As well as doom for the prisoner it probably spelt cash for the member
of the scroof who did the ringing and there may be a connection between
the handbell ceasing to be used, the tenor and money?

A similar story...it was said by some with a long memory that at St
Paul's Cathedral there was formerly a payment to the ringers for ringing
Great Paul immediately before the service and after ringing the 12.
To avoid the inconvienience of crossing to the other tower etc they
substituted 5 mins of the Tenor. They kept their mouths shut and no one
noticed but they still got paid!

The fact that the original standard length Sunday touch was 3 courses of
Stedman and for a long time now it has been 4 might fit the story as well.

Andrew