Riverside Church, NYC

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at y4kEnOm3GeK0xDFX_IMjSmO4wSaJb-Ri9_DJbQ5L2aDGaj-69ABOnpwjZFmTWOrJAZnebXykqENIUCU.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 22 11:45:30 GMT 2010

In the Vanbergen work of 1956, the G&J bells which were removed were used as material for casting their replacements, I believe.

In the Hurd/Olympic work of 1999, all of the Vanbergen bells were kept by the church, so that the Whitechapel replacements were presumably all cast from new material.  A few of the larger Vanbergen bells were on display at ground level in the church's education building when I visited there some years ago.

Dionisio Lind, the Riverside carillonneur, told me that the church regarded the Vanbergen bells as a memorial gift, and therefore would not trade them in.  It's a pity that attitude was not in place in the 1950s.

CSZ