Conservation gone wrong

fartwell2000 alanjbirney at frg_fDpVOmg6Y12sLyEMvrWaw2e4mau2vuNm6yIvxpTrkrgRwExqdXbzTB5NsJSjQp6P7yq7nNs3L8riX0nPEFfPS6Y.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 24 22:25:36 GMT 2010

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Dawson" <george at ...> wrote:

> I quote from the draft of CB Bradford re the Carleton by Skipton frame:
>

> The bells are hung dead in the extremely old oak frame, with chiming
> clappers. The frame, for three bells is Pickford type 3.K with curved bottom
> sills and a transom on one side only. Christopher Dalton, who saw this frame
> with me, was of the opinion that it dates from the 15th century.
>
> I think that I would agree with the late Mr Dalton!
>
> George

  Thanks George, personally, I am useless at guessing the age of frames, but my accomplice on the inspections noticed the "mechanical" saw marks on the frame and we both concluded that it was either a copy of a KP frame or a rebuilt  copy utilising new timbers.

  Seem to recall the tower was rebuilt before the bells were rehung by Mears (1840s?). I can give a more acurate date if I call in at the Church some time and look at the history.

Alan