Conservation gone wrong

George Dawson george at p4ZP3J1s5i-ejJAF-dx7t-Sbl4i5InbsY2coOnay0W9dn90BInsBNX_G9wPVzZpvt4J1l8UggRWLsLC2vC_WKjwfTn5Y.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 24 11:40:14 GMT 2010

I quote from the draft of CB Bradford re the Carleton by Skipton frame:

The bells are hung dead in the extremely old oak frame, with chiming
clappers. The frame, for three bells is Pickford type 3.K with curved bottom
sills and a transom on one side only. Christopher Dalton, who saw this frame
with me, was of the opinion that it dates from the 15th century.

I think that I would agree with the late Mr Dalton!

George

At Carlton in Craven (Skipton), the retention of the KP frame may have
influenced rehanging the ring dead. I and another have visited several times
before the rehang and thought the frame to be a copy of a KP frame or maybe
a rebuild of what was there before the tower was rebuilt, but the frame
appeared to have only a couple of old timbers-the rest having marks from
being machine cut. Perhaps GAD has visited and may know more?

Alan

19:33:00