Have you voted yet?

Robert Lewis editor at LfVGNw4QSGnow0Yt0i3eW23ixar0WsI_CK5zNSO-l3tMRpL1qxi149mDn8rvjhGxH4INEXExlqNjN7nZkrnb.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 5 09:28:12 BST 2010

At 19:22 08/04/2008, you wrote:
Time is running out.  7th May is the deadline.

No, not the general election ...

To save Hanley Bells:

Comments Received so far by Stoke City Council Planning Department: 221;

Comments In Favour: 188
Against: 33

See previous mailings below from RB/JEC for
instructions on how to comment in favour of the planning application.

RAL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:15:38 +0100
From: John Camp <camp at a2BC0G7BOyVC-cZesNpgc-_HmS_cQ3ZVvLDZpSmOhL1TGo0HddLbBb14Oo4U7R_OsvyAjRgiUJI-7i0HalRh.yahoo.invalid>
To: ringing-chat at R4RNgd2QGDxzVjUIkIa3K7yJ2Ic4SqkY4BkRCswN_qRN0HB_VFF8bDvk6FrvL0WapisKy4bc1R5Esb0PaYjVJEqs.yahoo.invalid,
         change-ringers <change-ringers at ksZrZoYpN1cdv1lbw160PKvywrw3vADtCpTkwyj4xcmn3jwU4EaWkAvjnNGQ9C_4Lfx3ZLs2NjlbnoOUHNb2bC3kHq_Q.yahoo.invalid>,
         bellhistorians <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>

<http://www.planning.stoke.gov.uk/dataonlineplanning/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=56582>

 > go to the end of the form

 > Do the "click here" on public presemtations

 > You wont have a reference number so again "ckick hear" and fill in name and
 > address.

 > click the "chose option"

 > Click support if you believe the bells should be transfered.

 > entering a comment is optional, but worth doing

Please do this!  It is really worth it.  I am sure that local
councillors will be influenced by strong support.  And make a comment,
pointing out how ridiculous it is to retain bells in a tower where
they can't be rung.  The more comments the better.

JEC

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Stoke City website at:
http://www.planning.stoke.gov.uk/
dataonlineplanning/AcolNetCGI.exe
(the planning application Reference number
50697/LBC)

See also http://www.stoneringers.co.uk/
Hanley/ for notes on navigating the Stoke
City Council Web site for the planning
application.
Last chance to save Hanley bells –
please help!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For over 20 years the future of the fine Gillett
& Johnson ring of ten bells at St. John-the-
Evangelist Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent has been
uncertain. The church has been closed all this
time with no access and no prospective
alternate use. The tower was used for many
years as a climbing/abseiling facility. Pigeons
have filled the tower with debris and detritus
and the top has become structurally unsound.
The ringers at Stoke were triumphant that
years of uncertainty were resolved when last
year arrangements were made for the church
to be sold for conversion to restaurant use and
for the bells to be removed for re-hanging at
nearby Stone. This triumph turned to dismay
when news then came through that the
Conservation Officer for the Borough had
directed that the bells were not to be removed
from the listed building. Consequently the
bells would be bricked up and left derelict.
Much lobbying and negotiation with the
Borough Council then had to be undertaken
by the ringers to see if the decision could be
re-considered. Happily the Planning
Committee of the Council is now to consider
the whole matter afresh. It will be very
important for the ringers of Stoke to have the
support of ringers across the country in their
campaign to save the bells. Every comment
via the Council’s planning website and every
letter sent by post in support of removing the
bells to Stone will play a vital part in
encouraging the Planning Committee to come
to the right decision!
Can I therefore urge all readers of The
Ringing World to please either go onto the
Stoke City website at:
http://www.planning.stoke.gov.uk/
dataonlineplanning/AcolNetCGI.exe
(the planning application Reference number
50697/LBC)
to register a vote in favour or to write to
Stoke-on-Trent City Council Planning
Department at PO Box 630 Civic Centre
Glebe Street Stoke-on-Trent ST4 1RF to the
same effect.
This should be done within the next two
weeks – The consultation period ends on
the 7th May 2010. Do please support the
Stone ringers in what might be the last
chance to ensure that this fine ring of bells
is heard again.
The ringers have not been allowed to
fundraise to cover the cost of removing the
bells until the last “t” and “i” in the
permissions have been crossed and dotted so
the Central Council Bell Rescue Fund and the
Keltek Trust are “standing by” with offers of
loans to enable removal of the bells to take
place immediately permission is given.
ROBERT J. COOLES
On behalf of the CCCBR Committee for
Redundant Bells & Bell Rescue Fund
See also http://www.stoneringers.co.uk/
Hanley/ for notes on navigating the Stoke
City Council Web site for the planning
application.
Last chance to save Hanley bells –
please help!
North-east view of St John’s, Hanley (Photographs
courtesy of David Kelly, The Keltek Trust)
South-east view of the church – the building has
now been made secure by the developers