[Bell Historians] Stays

David davidhird_uk at gog6uQHeYh4-HXmT0x9w8TcYCnT4yc34MbW8ipDzk1Xn9_vYr8-KDbpqaJOIlWLVsOoqJQ_BUT7eRU5K3O0.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 15 16:15:59 GMT 2010

> BTW - Perhaps HEJS was there when some over-enthusiastic ringers who were ringing up the tenor at Newcastle Cathedral broke the stay?!  ;-)

I was there. It was some Durham students who tried to pull it up quickly and kept heaving it when it was nearly up. The result was it smashed straight through the stay which they got billed for. I had never seen a stay broken on such a heavy bell until then.