bell installations costs

fartwell2000 alanjbirney at 52LtyJO64kAevIZblbc96K8yQ1oio2kgUCd3Ua3DT4kUauTfNfS39Cp2sDCr7bzsGyn9Oxnlte46l3HslSa6gg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 8 13:23:24 BST 2010

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Skinner" <george at ...> wrote:

> I am a member of St Peter's Church Belmont, Lancashire where we currently ring a peal of Vickers steel bells, originally installed in the 1850s by industrialist John Hick.  A number of members responded earlier in the year to my request for information about their origins.
>
> We have been offered (free of charge!) some bronze bells which have become available from a closed church in the diocese.  Unfortunately the cost of hanging the bells (which we have been told would be from £20k-£60k) may beyond our small community and I wondered if anyone might suggest likely sources of funding so that we can replace our rather rusty bells with some more tuneful ones.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

Hi George, I have seen the Belmont chime of steel bells and it is superb that the chance may have arisen to install a "proper" ring of conventional Bronze bells.

Having gotten a very succesfull major project of the ground in Barnoldswick a few years ago, you might care to contact me off list and I can arrange for you to see some examples of "before" and after at Barnoldswick.

Taylors Eayre & Smith (now John Taylor & Co bellfounders) did an excellent job, in transforming a deralict set of three bells that I rescued fron being unringable and turning them into an excellent, easy going and very musical set of bells.

Barnoldswick is about an hour by car from Belmont, but it could be usefull for a party of people from Belmont to come over so that you can see for yourselves, what is actually involved in installing a ring of bells, and it would give a chance to talk directly to people that worked hard to get 65k raised. Various members also removed the old bellframe and bells and did a lot of site work as well.

If you wish to talk further please email me at alanjbirney at __fu1AO9lVafHHdJsA47deYG3q4oOQV-dfXqxL4zmwgMY5YE5y-MDfPmkOKOZgyC-P_iNKF2vvRD-ZPd9501evpXksE.yahoo.invalid and I can arrange a site visit at Barnoldswick and arrange for a ringing demonstration, etc, as well as giving the chance to see exactly what is involved in creating a first class installation.

Alan