[Bell Historians] Christchurch Cathedral and St. Paul's, Papanui; Canterbury New Zealand

Alan Ellis alan_ellis at V-8CnyFcv4I-ogfc5QmfCkqBRxYfA2L8XdVh4MHJA0xh-IQpAlC233Z86o7vRreE6CUpoK73xcot3A.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 4 14:26:15 BST 2010

Hello Richard,

To hear that the bells rang themselves down confirms the stories of
bells ringing in an earthquake.   Ours at Holy Rosary Cathedral  here in
Vancouver would do the same, as we leave them up.  Vancouver is also
located in an earthquake zone and we know that the BIG ONE is coming.

I'd be interested in learning whether all bells rang themselves down or
whether only those in a certain direction.  That is all the east-west
bells and not the north-south bells, or vice versa.   As ours all swing
in an east-west direction, an earthquake with forces north-south may not
cause the bells to ring down.

IMHO the bells at Papanui should be fine as the  tower is a steel frame
and not masonry.  Unless it was shaken off its foundations, it ought not
to have received any damage in the shaking.

Best wishes

Alan