Dublin book

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at EZugk3YFkdhidkezYkx0lJ8RDHM7_CHNo_xt6aLI1JehYtDtILclWox_ekAHzzPcue9atv-k4rNXepk5uIFpyG0l64qqnSFZ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 9 11:06:59 BST 2010

Just to alert list members to a new(ish) book about Dublin bells. By Joe Curtis and called "Times, Chimes & Charms of Dublin: A Guide to Dublin's Clocks and Bells", it's published by First Return Press in Dublin (ISBN 978-0-9533320-9-0). It's available through Amazon (www.amazon.co.uk) - on demand printing, I think (my copy is dated 26 August 2010 - the date I ordered it) - and I got my copy today. It's a 191pp paperback. Price £8 plus shipping. Try
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Chimes-Charms-Dublin-Dublins/dp/0953332098/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284026658&sr=1-1

It's a second edition of a book published in 1992, apparently, although I'd never encountered it. Comprehensive in terms of clock and bell locations covered, but a bit thin on detail sometimes (e.g. mentioning Murphy bell but without giving the date). Includes all the Dublin area rings and clock chimes. Haven't read it in any detail yet, but from a quick glance I can see it contains quite a bit of fresh material on interesting installations. Certainly goes places that Fred Dukes didn't cover!

Worth getting, anyway - and pretty good value for the price

Chris Pickford
4 Walmsley Court, High Street, Kinver, DY7 6HG
Tel: 01384 878435 or (mobile) 07811 453525
E-mail: c.j.pickford at ISnYqnM9CAbLfdINikXVfTGW88sMZ9FUs5EVjjVe8VhadE7xZ5AK7yZ43f6TbOJx1OnbLsIgqf_mwPXVU6acaY9E.yahoo.invalid or (interchangeably) c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com