[Bell Historians] Toby Norris I

Richard Smith richard at Bxle32VTC9WSMr047QqFg46luTk1sYvFnk_qNKqJPj9I5--KhqaoF9dK01PRVJb3ulUSzewc7yrEQV9QrA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 9 19:10:46 BST 2010

George Dawson wrote:

> My CB Cambs is a second edition of 1881. Under the owl on
> page 76 is cross [81] & fleur de lis [82].

Ah, that would explain it!  Mine's a (copy of a) first
edition of 1869 and has no page 76.  Clearly I should try to
find a second (1881) edition.

I wrote:

> [...] In particular, I notice that [5] (and I think [3])
> both appear on the Priest's bell at Great St Mary's.
> This bears the inscription
>
>   [3] THIS [5] BELL [5] WAS [5] MADE [5] BY [5] IOHN [5]
>   WARRIN [5] 1607 [3]

While I'm on the subject, North's [1] appears very clearly
on my photos of the inscription of the 2 of 6 at Chesterton,
Cambridge:

   RICHARDVS HOLDFELD ME FECIT [1] SONORO SONO MEO SONO DEO

Again, [1] is a badge that North reckons is indicative of
Toby Norris I.

It seems that Toby Norris, Richard Holdfield and John Warren
were all using the same -- or at least very similar --
badges at the same time.  So I'm rather reluctant to rely
solely on these badges when identifying the founder.

RAS