[Bell Historians] Bell Care

David Cawley davidl.cawley at EM_Gi-bV4byBl3JB5H-a-hQB8DynUa-NlY1UzI9Ovaib2K1liX9vK-_6ixB2L8gUwyhvFJkZTnGwlE-ZXC_1E2tv.yahoo.invalid
Mon Sep 13 10:59:50 BST 2010

Most interesting to hear of Matthew's G&J bells. It might help you to know, Matthew, that many of us have a specific interest in and admiration for the now sadly departed Gillett & Johnston (not 'Johnson') Bell Foundry in Croydon (though happily the clock side of the business is still flourishing).
Interesting to know that the clock machinery and angelus strike is still operational right down to its original green livery!
I think list members will be interested to see the images when you are able to send them, likewise the inscriptions on the bells, including the founders' name and mark and the bell number (often there are two - one the number of the bell in the peal, and the other, usually of four figures, the serial number).
You'll find that Jill, the late Cyril Johnston's daughter, has written a book about Cyril, Gillet and Johnston, and his bells, published a couple of years ago. The title is "England's Child" and it is a thoroughly good read - I am sure it is obtainable by any good USA bookseller.
Enjoy the list

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: eelpondfrog
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 12:47 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Bell Care

  Hello All-
  I have recently become involved in the care/repair/maintenance of two beautiful Gillett and Johnson Bells in Woods Hole, Massachusetts (US). They are hung fixed in their own stone tower that was built in 1929-1930. They play the Angelus. They are mechanically controlled by their original green Gillett and Johnson mechanical control; possibly driven by a newer electric motor and a much newer clock timer. I would appreciate any and all information on the machinery and its care as well as the care of the tolling mechanisms.
  I am new to Yahoo Groups so will try to post photographs later.
  Matthew Bumpus