Benjamin Annable

Richard Smith richard at djFZCJXYhT5Rtc-JUW5iZzIejQODLmo95cWXQ4FcA-AXzLbat6hIox-6YWEHSqrHcisF5eIMnHkg6RCzRUAP.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 14 14:01:21 BST 2010

Is much know about Benjamin Annable's early life?  For
example, when and where he was born and brought up?  I don't
have a copy of Trollope's ASCY history, but I understand
from Michael Wilby's website that it says he was a baker
born somewhere in the City of London, and there certainly
was a Benjam Annable baptised at Cripplegate on 28 Aug 1702,
son of Benjamin and Margt Annable, who may or may nor be the
ringer.

The reason I ask is that I have just discovered a rather
intriguing memorandum at the foot of a page in the Cambridge
Youths accounts book dated 11 March 1756.  In addition to
the usual forfeits for non-attendance, there's a charge of
6d 'For muzling the Bells for a D. Peal' Then in much
smaller writing, as if it had it been inserted as an
after-thought, though apparently by the same person, is:

   The abovementione mourning Peal was rung
   out of respect the Company had to Benjamin
   Annabel, a servant in Trinity College, for
   his superior knowledge in Ringing - as did
   several other distinguished Towns where he
   was known --- He died 1st: Feb: 1756.

I hadn't been aware that he had any connection with
Cambridge, though I cannot see any way of interpreting "a
servant of Trinity College" other than that he had once
lived and worked here.  It could certainly explain why the
College Youths first peal outside London was at Great St
Mary's (Grandsire Caters, called by Annable, on 25 May
1727).

If he had been in Cambridge for any significant period of
time, I imagine must have been before 1724.  It would seem
very odd had he been in Cambridge as an adult and not become
a member of the Cambridge Youths, and I can see no other
mention of him in our records which are complete back to
1724, the year after the new ten was installed.

RAS