[Bell Historians] Re: Benjamin Annable

Anne Willis zen16073 at pd9_ZaaLklSoSLUJM6HD-2nyTVd3AOqJnRbtk_xtMs_UBjA8_QheUvqNIG78XwbLEU9YhQnsI36AikD-vA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 16 09:44:36 BST 2010

Sorry, forgot to convert to plain text.

Anne

>There does not seem to be much known for certain.
>My interpretation of the accounts of burials in the parochial registers of
St. Bride's church state that on January 22 1756, Benjamin Annable, aged 53,
was buried in the vicinity of the church porch.
>On page 30 of `History of College Youths', Trollope has it that:
>"In the year 1703 a man named Benjamin Annable went to live as a lodger
with one, Charles Mathews, in Dove Court, Gutter Lane, a street which runs
northward from Cheapside. He had with him his wife >Margaret and an infant
son just a year old, who was named after his father. The man was a porter by
trade and he must have been a steady sort of man and in constant work, for
he was still there when he >died. In 1713 his wife, who meanwhile had born
him another son, married again. Where they came from and where young
Benjamin was born, I have not been able to trace. Likely enough it was
>somewhere in the country, for the name was a rather uncommon one in
London."

>It seems likely that baby Ben Annable, baptized at Cripplegate on 28 Aug
1702 is the same child, with his parents presumably living nearby, but when
his parents apparently split up, it is not clear to me, >whether 13 year-old
Ben stayed with his father or took off perhaps to Cambridge,with his mum. My
guess is that the parents perhaps had originally come from there and mom and
her two children returned. >BA joined the CY in 1721 when he would have been
18, I don't know if the Society has any specific details of where he was
living when he joined, but it might have been Cambridge.

>Eddie Martin

Why are you assuming that Annable’s parents separated?  I see there is no
date for his father’s death, but I would have thought widowhood was more
likely in the 18th century in the event of his mother’s re-marriage in 1713.

Anne