[Bell Historians] Re: Benjamin Annable

nitramwe edwardwmartin at 0oID2ENZ0YlJwrEq_dI9qS32lvl_jHCCH28f_bzH5rHEymO-aIKpAY_AUdHpyTVdawOc5idR8S6u08-RHUkkjw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 16 10:00:45 BST 2010

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Anne Willis" <zen16073 at ...> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to convert to plain text.
>
> Anne
>

> >There does not seem to be much known for certain.
> >My interpretation of the accounts of burials in the parochial registers of
> St. Bride's church state that on January 22 1756, Benjamin Annable, aged 53,
> was buried in the vicinity of the church porch.
> >On page 30 of `History of College Youths', Trollope has it that:
> >"In the year 1703 a man named Benjamin Annable went to live as a lodger
> with one, Charles Mathews, in Dove Court, Gutter Lane, a street which runs
> northward from Cheapside. He had with him his wife >Margaret and an infant
> son just a year old, who was named after his father. The man was a porter by
> trade and he must have been a steady sort of man and in constant work, for
> he was still there when he >died. In 1713 his wife, who meanwhile had born
> him another son, married again. Where they came from and where young
> Benjamin was born, I have not been able to trace. Likely enough it was
> >somewhere in the country, for the name was a rather uncommon one in
> London."
>
> >It seems likely that baby Ben Annable, baptized at Cripplegate on 28 Aug
> 1702 is the same child, with his parents presumably living nearby, but when
> his parents apparently split up, it is not clear to me, >whether 13 year-old
> Ben stayed with his father or took off perhaps to Cambridge,with his mum. My
> guess is that the parents perhaps had originally come from there and mom and
> her two children returned. >BA joined the CY in 1721 when he would have been
> 18, I don't know if the Society has any specific details of where he was
> living when he joined, but it might have been Cambridge.
>
> >Eddie Martin
>
> Why are you assuming that Annable's parents separated?  I see there is no
> date for his father's death, but I would have thought widowhood was more
> likely in the 18th century in the event of his mother's re-marriage in 1713.

Very good point
I suppose that if JAT was able to find that Mrs Annable married again, we might  be able to find to whom and something more of what happened next. I don't know how to go about this though

ewm