[Bell Historians] Re: Ringing World Article from 1979

John Harrison john at gPa8QHjPhOV4PqymSwpLDyzCSYe6JVSTMy8YjApa0GgtX6RXxn8bfp4lvgy_S05WY0E3iydVVcZ3nuLCfFnj.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 21 13:05:22 BST 2010

> I'm not familiar with the term "Headman" and am hoping someone can
> describe what this was.

I've not met it before, but the interpretation as the person in charge
seems likely.

The modern term of Tower Captain is by no means universal, for example when
the Sonning Deanery Society was set up, those in charge were described as
Foremen, and although some towers have dropped it, we retain it today.

(I've asked this before, but) I would be interested of any use of the term
Foreman outside of Sonning Deanery.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk

Message sent from an Iyonix running RISC-OS 5