Ringing World Article from 1979

nitramwe edwardwmartin at Ius78YpGkFbxFY6YOFiiwMq_StwhpXOZiZKyaGKhCBbtacKnaxLOyFOJv62MlYfKiyZYluUlY-N--W_-MzhDjTYC.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 21 12:57:40 BST 2010

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Chris Darvill <manager at ...> wrote:

> I've received the following query about an article on p50 of the RW
> in 1979. I'm not familiar with the term "Headman" and am hoping
> someone can describe what this was. Obviously I know that the
> Mancroft company refers to the ringers at Mancroft.
>
> Regards
> Chris
>
> >Could I ask you to clarify something for me? Peckover is referred to
> >as the "Headman" of the Mancroft Company. Does this mean he was the
> >leader of the Company of Bellringers at St Peter Mancroft (tower
> >captain?) rather than that he was the boss of a manufacturing
> >company called the Mancroft Company?
> >
> >He also rang 5280 changes  of Oxford Treble Bob at St Michael at
> >Coslany in 1832.

Hunting for something else, I came across an account of 5016 Norwich Court Bob Max. rung January 20th 1817 at S. Peter Mancroft. Someone named Peckover Hill rang the 2nd
(see Bell News 23rd June 1888, p.173)

Eddie Martin