[Bell Historians] Re: Ringing World Article from 1979

John Camp camp at _hSDdGeyCtLSDPnLWYtgpl2dI5Use-eKewwMp8RfeYm5aQlet5WFrkM8-AiVQeVDu_GKjEXAW8gwuw.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 21 13:22:36 BST 2010

At 13:05 on 21 September 2010, John Harrison wrote:

> The modern term of Tower Captain is by no means universal, for example when
> the Sonning Deanery Society was set up, those in charge were described as
> Foremen, and although some towers have dropped it, we retain it today.

> (I've asked this before, but) I would be interested of any use of the term
> Foreman outside of Sonning Deanery.

>From the E-Lists 7 April 2006:

"[On change-ringers] John Harrison wanted to know if the title ‘Tower
Foreman’ was exclusive to the Sonning Deanery Branch of the ODG."

No doubt the c-r archives will reveal whether any replies were received.

However, I doubt whether the title was as exclusive as that.  I recall
the term from my youth (admittedly in the next-door branch of the ODG),
but I can't remember where.

John Camp