[Bell Historians] Re: Netiquette

Carl Scott Zimmerman csz_stl at Ci-lsQSXCJ9QOmAvR4y4eOBcm1rv7U6syWjDuprLDc8c01SaKh9kkcBVqjPhIWkqZiFUNvOd-tNJ1352.yahoo.invalid
Mon Sep 27 22:26:09 BST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, John Harrison wrote, "It isn't just above or
below that matters, but cutting out what isn't needed as well."

I'd say that's *far* more important than whether to reply above or
below the quoted material.

Having subscribed to many different mail lists during the entire
history of email, sometimes in digest mode and sometimes in
single-message mode, I can see only one minor advantage to bottom
posting.  It is that people who have the habit of bottom posting seem
to be more likely to edit out the useless stuff at the end of the
message to which they are replying.

However, assuming that a reply is properly edited for relevancy, I
see no practical difference between top posting and bottom posting in
digest mode.  Either way, you have to scroll past relevant quoted
material to get to the next segment of new material.

In individual-message mode, it seems to me that top-posting is more
readable for short replies to long messages, while bottom-posting is
more readable for long replies to short messages.  Regardless, when
replying to a reply one should follow the style initially established.

On the subject of digest mode, I see only one possible advantage to
it on a list which, like this one, inserts the list identification
into every subject line.  If you have a "live" inbox (i.e., with
instant notification of each incoming message - very common in work
environments) then digest mode may reduce the number of interruptions
which you suffer for non-work-related messages.

Carl