[Bell Historians] H & T Jones 46 Duke Street Liverpool

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at Y47XZYUR8b7QWegtc2e5dbawQJxa8MBwmRhG8mkUiwsswfyxOaD9yvTRO6dxhagPgl7J2hTSZFNub7szRk7uIRzbQ_0880I_.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 11 15:01:08 BST 2011

Have been following this one for a bit:

Bell owned by Oswestry dealer inscribed waist (Royal Arms) / E & T JONES / 46 DUKE STREET / LIVERPOOL Soundbow: 1853 (full inscription not visible from photo). Diameter 17". Peg argent cut off. (Ex.inf. David Kelly, 13 January 2010)

E. & T. Jones, brassfounders, 46 Duke Street listed in 1855 Directory (web search); There is only one Jones listed as a brassfounder and that is Edward Jones & Co of 46 Duke Street, Liverpool. This entry is in the Directory for 1851 and 1855 - we don't have an 1853 copy (Ex.inf. Liverpool Record Office)

Same bell later appeared on eBay in ownership of Cannock dealer (UK Architectural Antiques Ltd) priced at £1800. Photos show inscription exactly as above. Diameter 17", weight 55kg (1-0-9¼) (eBay, August 2010)

Bryan McCahey thinks it could possibly have come from St. John the Divine, Fairfield, Liverpool was built 1851-53. The framing survives, but the bell was apparently sold in 1980

CP